Saturday, June 8, 2013

Crepuscular and Crepuscular Ray

Hey Amanda,

You were right about The Way--it was an awesome movie. The best part? This.



Okay I lied. The movie was also awesome because I was eating delicious tomatillo salsa, and more importantly, I was watching it in Texas with you. Which is why we were MIA last week, sorry y'all--family first.

It was a fantastic week for words. Probably because Amanda is awesome, I won the vocab lottery multiple times last week. You know, when the perfect time to use that obscure-but-oh-so-delightfully-apt-for-the-situation word comes along. For instance:

crepuscular: Having to do with dusk, e.g. animals that are most active at twilight are crepuscular rather than nocturnal animals.

We went out for a walk after dinner to find an owl. We were talking about the best time to see birds since our brother recently got big into birding.

(Aside) Pretty much getting "big into" anything is a genetic predilection for the entire family (a predilection for predilections, if you will). So on one hand it wasn't really surprising that I found myself on a hunt for an owl. On the other, my brother already knows by sight the difference between a Neotropic Cormorant and a Double-Crested Cormorant, and my brother is perhaps the antipodes of a stereotypical bird watcher, But then again, so is Jack Black. (Antipodes? I'm on a roll.)

Just because I love you, and apparently, have no sense of shame. Here's a bonus word. Related, but perhaps more useable.

crepuscular ray: the beams of sunlight that cut through the clouds. The kind of thing that makes you feel like being a little nicer and a little less worried.  They're called crepuscular rays because they are most commonly seen at dawn or dusk because the contrast is greatest between the reddish light of the sun and the purple of the clouds.

If you can flip the bird while looking at this, you definitely need more hugs in your life


Be excellent to each other
Steph
Are there any words that you're dying to use?
 Does anyone else do that or am I the only one?
Yeah... okay. 








No comments:

Post a Comment