Friday, April 26, 2013

My Favorite

Hey Amanda,

So I realized this week that I can’t be trusted with superlatives, due to an email you sent me.

"My Favorite...": 1. A phrase used for a single person/item/place in any given category as the most preferred 2. A phrase used by Stephanie to denote entrance into an entire category of its own of preferable things. This is probably indicative of a larger decision-making problem.

So the entire text of your email read “Your Favorite Person” with a link, and honestly I was expecting one of at least five different people. Here’s the video Amanda sent me:




Mr. Fred Rogers is in fact one of the coolest people that has ever lived. Watch that video and tell me Mr. Rogers doesn’t sound a lot like someone who had a foster dad named Joseph--I dare you. However, Mr. Rogers (and the also pretty cool, John Green) weren’t on my short-list for “Favorite person” at the moment I opened the email.


I, apparently, have so many favorites that I can't even summon them all when prompted.

The part of my brain that forms opinions i having an existential crisis. When I use the phrase “my favorite” it’s almost as meaningless as the “Best Red Car with a Blue Stripe” award they hand out at Pinewood Derby. It’s like that line from Incredibles “When everyone is special, no one is.” My opinion is worthless.

*shrugs* I’m over it.

Just in case you're curious, here are the list of people I expected to be “My Favorite Person” at the time:


      Neil DeGrasse Tyson--awesome astronomer-smart mouth

     David Tennant-- The 10th Doctor. Long Jacket. Scottish. What else could you want?

     Matt Meese-- comedian and Shoulder Angel

     Dorie Haws-- one of my college professors who taught the most applicable course I have ever taken “Foundations of Developmentally Appropriate Practices” (also wins the award for longest course name). In plain English it’s how to treat children and give them expectations that match their capabilities. And Dorie is amazing.

I liked your moxie Amanda,
Steph

P.S. Speaking of favorites....kid batman playing spiderman.

Anyone else use favorite incorrectly? Who are your favorite people?

1 comment:

  1. Whoever draws JL8 is definitely one of my favorite people. :)

    As well as Neil DeGrasse Tyson

    John Moses Browning (learned to be probably the greatest gunsmith and designer ever w/o formal training. Man was ridiculous)

    ReplyDelete