Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Reconciliation

Hey Steph!
        So I have been completely consumed by a secret project recently and have spent little time doing anything else. This is why I am posting at 11 o'clock at night. While I've reconciled myself to the idea that I won't be able to focus on much else until this project is done, the blog must go one, so I'm here to post a nice music video. :)

reconciliation: bringing together two opposing people or ideas (e.g., the part of myself that feels bad for letting go of my other responsibilities and the part of myself that is obsessed with working hour after hour on a side project)

       Before the video, let me just explain why we should all be excited about it. I'm posting a concert by the Civil Wars. Steph, you shared the Civil Wars with me a few years ago. Unbeknownst to you, this started a musical revolution in my life in which I fell in love with the Civil Wars and then with folk music and then with bluegrass. My musical heart is stuck in the wilds of the Appalachian Mountains if you ever need to find it. Thanks for sharing them with me.
      The Civil Wars are a folk duo who, in my opinion, are one of the best musicians of our era. Folk may not be everybody's thing, so I understand if some of you readers can't stand listening to any of it just because of the style. But some of the things they do musically blow my mind. Their partnership in their harmonies and slides often gives me chills. I know this is an hour long video, but I wanted to show you them live. However, any of their songs on YouTube are awesome, so feel free to just listen to "Poison and Wine" or "20 Years" or any of their songs if you just want one song.
       So a few months ago, the Civil Wars cancelled their tour and split with no word on if they would get back together. Their fans were saddened at the loss of this amazing partnership. But to the hoorays of all, they announced a new album a week ago. My heart is aflutter in folk music love. Without further ado, the Civil Wars.


Cheers,

Amanda

I'm always seeking for more music to add to my collection. What's some of your favorite groups from folk or any genre at all (Music's great in any form it comes in)

2 comments:

  1. Two things: "My musical heart is stuck in the wilds of the Appalachian Mountains if you ever need to find it." That line = perfection. Words can't describe how much I love that.

    Second: I love Joy Williams! Have you heard "Charmed Life" by her? While I'm not super familiar with Civil Wars, I'm excited to hear them more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, D! I have heard "Charmed Life." It's a good one, though admittedly, I prefer her in the duo, but she definitely is a talented woman. Definitely, check out the Civil Wars!

    ReplyDelete