Friday, January 10, 2014

Why I dig the Spartan Laser and hate the battle bikini, why Video game violence and misogyny are different

Hello 2014!

Sorry we've been gone so long y'all. One of these days I'll actually plan ahead for vacations, but December was not one of those times.  There's great things coming y'all, but I'm keeping mum on that until the time comes. Just letting you know, we're not dead and Sistionary is going to be getting an order of magnitude cooler.


Hey Amanda,

As a woman I have an above average  fondness for video games, but just barely. Although I would like to see firearm regulation be a little tighter, I cringe when someone brings up video games as the reason why we should be worried about gun violence.  Honestly, the amount of blood in some games is disgusting, and I've reached the point where with a plethora of choices, we no longer spend money on graphic depictions of humans dying. But my problem with that isn't that it trains you to hurt people, because it doesn't. I just think it trains you not to care. You stop noticing the blood on the screen whether it's Medal of Honor, or CNN. That's the problem. The problem isn't that you will give into a murderous rage and start running people over with your car. Yes, most/ maybe all mass shooters have played video games. But they were also teenage boys. They also probably wore lace up sneakers, and denim pants on a pseudo regular basis.

Heck yeah Samus!!! (from Deviantart

And while I argue that violence in video games doesn't lead to violence in reality, I will definitely stand by the assertion that misogyny in video games leads to misogyny in real life. Why? Because your brain is hardwired to not want to hurt people. Get really mad, fly off the handle, yes. But murder someone? Your biological wiring as a social creature will yell at you not to do it. Social stigma, criminal repercussions, effects on your dreams and aspirations---all the cause and effect thinking that your executive function really excels at, they all lead up to you not throwing a punch. But misogynistic thinking doesn't have the same checks. No one knows what you think. The same world you inhabit in the Xbox is the same one you have at the water cooler---just shooting the wind with your buddies. So what stops a man from thinking the same way he thinks in the game. Women are rewards. I work hard. I deserve a woman. And what harm are sexist jokes? I don't really mean it. Just having a laugh. It's not like I would actually say it to a woman.   It's not like I'm making my coworker's afternoon uncomfortable. These cubicle walls are soundproof.

So that's why I uninstalled Bard's Tale. Opening sequence, I thought too much cleavage, but I'll give it a shot. Okay first level, Widow Mary's Inn--you offer to rid her of her mice infestation, and she offers you a warm place to sleep and--- I kid you not--- leans over and pushes her breasts together.

Nope. Sorry, Bard's Tale. No dice. You just lost at life. You do a girl a favor, she might owe you cookies, but she sure as heck doesn't owe you her body. *creeped out shiver*  And that's why women think video games are misogynistic....because they are.

Guess I'll stick with Spelltower this evening,
Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment