Friday, September 5, 2014

Brandon Sanderson Thinks I'm a Creative Genius

This week Brandon Sanderson told me I was awesome.

Okay.He didn't actually say that. But it was close.
That's clearly what he meant.
Between the lines.




For all those not in the know, Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author of all time. Like my "dream dinner party" lineup is Richard Feynman, Maria Montessori, Brandon Sanderson, and Mary the mother of Jesus (not in that order). 

Because stories well-told are essentially little miracles, and Sanderson is miraculous.

Slavery, apotheosis, the role of government, the role of religion, inherent vs. cultural gender diversification,  the moral/immoral quandary of war, the paradox of prayer. The pressing conversations of our lifetime nested inside amazingly intricate worlds, and fantastic plots that make your heart pound with worry, and flutter with little awe-splosions. (People seriously underestimate the power and efficacy of SciFi/Fantasy to take on heavy subject matter....with dragons)

So hopefully you can now appreciate why I'm completely embracing this third-tier compliment as a full  endorsement of my creativity. In my dreams, there's a cover-quote from Brandon Sanderson on my first published novel, because seriously, I don't think it could get any better than that.

I dunno. Maybe if Ira Glass invited me on NPR to talk about my super huge best-selling novel. That might be better. Maybe. 

Readers (...and Amanda), you seriously need some Brandon Sanderson in your life. Start with The Emperor's Soul-- it's short and wonderful, and centers on what it means to be you. Are the roles you fill parts of your personality? Or are you "forging" your personality depending on who you talk to? Plus, the magic is cool.  
Vin  is awesome

I read it in 5 hours. All in one go. Just go read it. After you finish that one, then you really can't go wrong with any of them, but I'd probably read Mistborn.

With all my Sanderson love, 
Stephanie

P.S. "Smedry talent" is an allusion to the Alcatraz series. Which unlike the majority of Sanderson's books, is written for middle-schoolers. (Don't hate, so was Harry Potter.)  And the main character belongs to a family which has super-powered idiosyncracies: always late--arrives late to pain; clumsy--breaks stuff with a touch; etc. 

And my husband does have a super-power for ruining surprises. Seriously, I only had to hide the gift for two days. It wasn't for a birthday or particularly special event.  And within hours of the purchase, he still found out about it.  


Okay, your turn. 
What four people from all of human history would you want to share a meal with?



2 comments:

  1. Jimmy Stewart
    Martha Arnold (for those not of the Fronk clan my great great Grandmother)
    Moroni-I just have to tell him his words which he felt inadequate have pierced my soul like few others
    Have to agree Mary the Mother of Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Jimmy Stewart is such a good one!

    ReplyDelete