Wednesday, December 17, 2014

5 Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life

Hi Steph,

Every Christmas I'm reminded of the man of my dreams. His name is Mr. James Stewart and with just a few minor caveats, I'd marry him right now; that is, if he didn't have a wife, was not born 79 years before me, and was alive, I'd be introducing myself as Mrs. James Stewart (yes, I'd even take on that abhorrent, old-fashioned practice of taking my husband's first and last name just so I could brag about the man I was married to.)

My love for Jimmy Stewart first came about in our perennial watching of It's a Wonderful Life each Christmas. It is hands down my favorite movie--not just Christmas movie. It's my number one pick of any movie I've ever seen. The movie combines engaging, complex characters, witty and humorous (and quotable) dialogue, and a message full of heart that will stick with you.

Hey there, dreamboat


Below are five lessons to take from It's a Wonderful Life, but here's a fair warning, if you have never seen It's a Wonderful Life, stop right now before the whole movie is spoiled and go watch the movie!


1) Be passionate.
So I think the reason Jimmy Stewart is so attractive to me is because of his deep passion for life and learning and experiencing. I fall in love with him every time I watch the scene below. I swear if a man spoke to me with as much creative vocabulary and overuse of hyperbole, I would swoon on the spot. Though It's a Wonderful Life is sort of a story of George Bailey's dreams not coming true, I believe it is George's love of life that makes him the charismatic and compassionate character that he is. Lesson 1: dream big.



2. Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously.
If you're going to talk as grandiose as George Bailey does, you need to add to it a bit of levity. The scene below is one of my favorites. It reminds me that when you think you're really impressive stuff but then make a total fool of yourself, it's best to make fun of yourself and laugh with it.



3. Find Happiness in the Successes of Others.
As others have posited, Harry Bailey just might be the villain of It's a Wonderful Life. While George stays in Bedford Falls being responsible and caring for the whole town, Harry gets to live out all of George's adventures. What I love about George is his sincere love for others and his happiness for other's successes. Throughout the film, George is the proud older brother, bragging about Harry's accomplishments. George teaches us that life might not always go the way we want it too, but our attitude can make us happy in all circumstances.



4. We All Have Bad Days.




One reason I like It's a Wonderful Life is that it presents a relatable tragedy. What happens to George is definitely upsetting, but it isn't one of those arising from the ashes sort of stories. George's struggle seems very close to my struggles, unlike say the storyline of Schindler's List or Pursuit of Happyness. I watch those films and think, "Man, I would not be strong enough to endure the things these people went through, let alone be happy and compassionate through it." It's a Wonderful Life is a story of a man brought down again and again by not fulfilling his dreams. Sound familiar? I appreciate how the film respects this struggle as real and also allows viewers to recall all that they do have going for them.

5. Being Rich Doesn't Mean You're Wealthy.
George teaches us that the exhaustion of life is worth it if you are living to help others. In true Frank Capra fashion, Jimmy Stewart delivers a powerful message on the worth of doing good even at your own personal expense in the video below.



The video below is of one of the most famous scenes in the whole movie. I love this scene because of the reason that George asks to live again. (Did I mention I'm in love with Jimmy Stewart/George Bailey?)





Merry Christmas, Steph!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment