Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Giddly

Hey Steph,
I’ve just returned from Seattle! While I’m sure I have plenty of intelligent things to express about the Pacific Northwest, my mind is made sluggish by a long day of travel begun at 4:30 this morning and ending at 8:15 tonight. Instead of Seattle, I’d like to write a little bit about minutiae (yes, you’ve already stolen this word in this post, but I got hit with a beautiful bit of minutiae tonight and I have to share).

Pretty sweet rainy-day song mix found here.
                Travelling home is taxing on me, as it is for a lot of people. It is a return to my normal life, which is fantastic but always seems to pale in comparison of the excitement of friends, family, and a new city. So, it usually takes me a few days to acclimate back to life and let go of anxiety. But as I hopped off the train in my hometown, I was greeted with a welcome home sign from nature: good, solid rain. At first, the stresses of security lines and long-coming returned baggage weighed too heavy to immediately delight in this rain—this rain, that so accurately gave me a scene from my Texas childhood. I climbed in the car, tired and ready to let my mind rest. NPR was set on the car radio, and the quiet plucks of jazz guitar set a soundtrack to my ride home. And then I got all giddly.

Giddly: a portmanteau of giggly and giddy; an uncontrolled release of joy

                I’ve found that I get giddly when I’m reminded in the midst of heavy thoughts how blessed I am to be on this earth. In the window scene before me, the rain painted strokes of white and red light emitting from the cars ahead. The dying light of day, be-coated in stormy clouds seemed to dance away their final minutes. (Parenthetical statement: I hate that Stephenie Meyer single-handedly destroyed the beauty of the word twilight.) As the rain confidently came down on my window shield, adding syncopation to the cool, ponderous jazz music, I felt as if I had been given a confectionary treat—a piece of life, wrapped up and personalized for me. I know montage scenes in movies are often cliché and kitschy, but they are often my favorite part. When done right a la Up, the montage points out the profundity in the quiet snippets of life. I think that this recognition of profundity in the simple is why I get giddly. I might have true worries filling my mind and heart with concern, but a bit of gratitude for the little stuff can do a lot to help me to not take myself too seriously.
                As I lay on my bed writing this with the open window bringing in chilly air to my feet, tinkling tin-roof raindrops to my ears, and, oddly enough, warm, spicy curry to my olfactories, the only thing missing from this bonbon de vie is the ability to share this with my loved ones. I’ve written a whole song about the desire to share these moments of minutiae, so it’s a perennial problem of mine. While you and many other dear friends are impossibly far away to experience this with me, here’s a song that does quite a decent job in bringing a summer thunderstorm to you: 



Wherever you are, I hope you feel at home too.
Cheers,

Amanda Kae


What are the sights, smells, sounds, tastes of home for you? What things remind you of the profundity of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment